5 Easy Ways to Try a Zero Waste Lifestyle



Landfill issues, pollution, etc - we can’t solve any environmental problems overnight, but we can make small changes in our life to contribute to the bigger picture! Practicing the 3Rs (reduce, reuse, recycle [additionally, refuse and repurpose]) is great for this purpose, and over the years I feel like the entire philosophy is encapsulated in the Zero Waste lifestyle. 

Living Zero Waste (ZW) is not that difficult if you know why you are doing it. Today I'd like to share how I try to live a zero waste life: 

1. I bring out a reusable container when I know I’m going to tapau lunch 
Ok guys, we can do this! It’s the easiest and will benefit the environment so much, because styrofoam and plastic containers make up a lot of the trash that goes to the landfill for something we only use once. 
I sometimes have an extra Tupperware at work for this, but if I don’t, I’ll just use one of the many plastic containers littering my workplace pantry (that people get from ordering takeouts, etc). I bring and use them at: 
  • Mixed rice stalls (instead of styrofoam/plastic containers)
  • Gerai kuih (instead of plastic bags)
  • Snack bars at Aeon/supermarkets (instead of plastic bags)
  • Bread and pastries from your bakeries (instead of their paper/plastic bags)
Keep one at your desk and in your car for unplanned snack runs. Metal containers like tiffin carriers are a popular choice among zero-wasters because it's safe for hot food like soup.

2. My reusable water bottle is my best friend
I drink from this at work, too. Because I drink more cold drinks, my ideal bottle is something like a clear tumbler from Starbucks - with a reusable plastic straw that I can also use on its own. If you drink more hot drinks, get a metal or a thermos one. The ideal minimum volume, personally, should be 600ml thereabouts so you can use them to fill regular sized drinks, which on average I think us Malaysians buy at least one a day D: 
  • Starbucks drinks 
  • Tealive/Gong Cha/Chayen/bubble tea drinks
  • Boost juice
  • "Ikat tepi" drinks from the mamak
3. I rarely use plastic cutleries
I’ve been rejecting plastic cutleries for a long time. I take out and return the small plastic spoons slotted into my nasi lemak pyramid, don’t ask for plastic fork and spoon from the mixed rice stalls and return the wooden chopsticks from Chinese restaurants. Most of the time I use the cutleries available at home or at the office (when I tapau food, I usually head back to eat anyway!) and I’m sure you guys can do it, too :) 
One plastic cutlery I’ve not been good at rejecting is McDonald’s plastic coffee stirrers (and the paper cups and plastic lids) so I keep those purchases to a minimal or bring a thermos. 

4. I always keep some reusable bags in my car & workplace and, if no bag with me, reject plastic bag for small purchases 
I don’t usually know when I’m going to go shopping, but when I do, I make sure I’m not empty handed *meme*. If I am, I’ll just carry the stuff with my bare hands. 

5. I ask for no straws where possible 
A lot of waiters forget and give me the straw when I ask for no straw. I find the most effective way to get the message through is to say "tak nak straw" and make eye contact when saying this, LOL.


These are just some of the things I am practicing to live a life that produces lesser waste. It's easy and doable. Just takes a bit of effort to start, but once you get the ball rolling, it'll become a habit and an instinct! What are YOUR hacks to living a zero waste life? 

For more resources on living Zero Waste, check out the Zero Waste Malaysia Facebook Group. It's an active community of like-minded people sharing their own experiences and helping one another to live ZW! 

Comments

Popular Posts