Netflix Shows I've Been Watching


#BlackAF
This was an algorithm-recommended show when it premiered on Netflix. #BlackAF (originally titled Black Excellence, but probably renamed for social-first viewers) is a mockumentary-styled series that takes a look at parenting/relationships from the lens of various members of the (fictional) Barris family. The mockumentary point of view style is similar to what you see on The Office, with the unique exception that the camera crew and backdrop are occasionally visible in some scenes. I love the offbeat, irreverent humor that's so pervasive in post-modern TV (right down to the episode titles) and the inclusion of pop culture like PinkFong, Gudetama, Kids See Ghosts, etc. This is sort of like Modern Family, but a bit more heavy on the language (Steve Levitan, creator of Mod Fam actually makes a cameo in the first episode).



This was also found on one of the trending (or recommended?) sections of Netflix and revolves around a passengers of a hijacked plane forced to escape from an uncertain death by the sun. Yep. It's also in French. We completed watching this sci-fi/drama piece in two days (very bingeable at about 40 minutes per episode x 6 episodes in season 1). I usually rarely binge, but the storyline kept me on the edge of my seat. Character development is also a key focus of the story and very consistent throughout the series, if you're into that sort of thing. I highly recommend this series. 



I wasn't initially attracted to this because I didn't like (and didn't complete) To All the Boys I Loved Before, and I lumped NHIE under the same bucket. I mean, teenage girl with boy problems...sounds the same. Then my cousin insisted this is worth to watch. Jon first saw it (recommended by Netflix) and quickly called me to join him. Hmm, if a GUY says that he wants to watch a teen rom-com, this I must watch too. And so we did, and turns out he continued watching it beyond the first five seconds because of the narrator (tennis player John McEnroe). Why get a tennis legend to narrate a Netflix series aimed at the Asian/South Asian teenage demographic? I dunno, but it was a great way to extend the target viewers of the show beyond the female demographic, because both my cousin's husband and Jon were watching this show with us. I think a lot of my friends will find themselves relating to all that Devi goes through at home, school and with aunties. This series is definitely worthy for #SubtleCurryTraits. 



Newly released among this list, this Steve Carell series focuses on the efforts of launching (and the missions of) the USA's newest armed force, the Space Force. I have been informed by Jon that this was something that President Donald Trump wanted to do (and is actually in existence). A lot of critics gave negative reviews of the series, saying that it's not as funny as it should be, considering the fire power behind this show. I personally felt that while the humor is present, it was maybe a bit too American for the mainstream (kind of like the subtle humor of the British), but still quite fun to watch. Also, Steve Carell's presence on screen automatically triggers a "something funny is going to happen" thing, so I do recommend watching the first episode at least. 

Tried to watch this but didn't continue after episode 3 or 4. I know what this series is trying to say, but I did not find the way it was being said funny, inspirational, entertaining nor thought provoking. And for that, it just fell in between hot and cold. I may return to this series in the future but it's quite unlikely (although it must be doing quite well, seeint as it's all the way in season 4 now). 


I kind of wish Netflix has a "recently finished watching" section so I can go back to see what I watched recently. What have you been bingeing on Netflix? Or are you a one episode-one day sort of watcher? 

Comments

Popular Posts